Friday, September 23, 2011

Substitution of flame retardants - a sweet story

For a month ago, I bought a new sofabed. When they delivered it, I unwrapped the mattress. And felt a strange  smell and found a label that adressed it was fireprotected. Oh, shit, I didn't want to sleep on a polluted matress. There are about 350 flame retardants on the market, and some of them have been banned. Others are still not banned but suspected as hormone disrupters, and the majority of them are not even assessed. So, I called back and asked for a matress without these kind of chemicals.

The retailer replied, however, that the manufacturer unfortuneatly only had fireprotected matresses according to the regulations. I disclosed my professional background as a consultant, and told them that there arn`t actually such regulations in Sweden. It must be a kind of mixup between a "standard" and regulations, I said.

Then everything turned. A call back one week later on, they told me that the manufacturer had decided to abandon the flame retardants completely! And I was the one who should get the first one from their detoxified production in two weeks. -Well, we switched from synthetics to natural fibers at the same time.

This is ecoprofitability and win-win, everybody was happy. Both the retailer and the manufacturer thanked me for the information and will get my new matress in about two weeks.

Good night!

No comments: